|– The first time we talk about one thing or one person||– It’s clear which thing or person we mean|
– There’s only one of this thing (the earth, the Mars etc.)
– The + superlative (best, oldest etc.)
– The same
– The world, the universe, the sky,
the environment, the media, the Internet, the radio, the Amazon, the Atlantic Ocean, the Sahara Desert, the US, the UK
– The + adj to talk about groups of people (the rich, the poor, the priviledged, the underpriviledged, etc.)
– The + some nationality adjectives to talk about people from that country (the Swedish, the French, etc.)
– The north, the south, the east, the west
– The + family name with ‘s’ or ‘es’ to talk about the whole family (The Simpsons)
– The + a singular noun to talk about a type of thing (The car – a type of vehicles, the computer – a type of electronic devices)
|– Use plural nouns to talk about|
things in general (E.g.: Cars are expensive in Vietnam)
– My, her, his, our, Tom’s, etc. are
used before the noun
Exercise 1: Choose the correct use of articles in the following sentences (Viết thành câu hoàn chỉnh)
1. I was ill. Doctor / The doctor told me to rest for a few days.
2. In the United States, President / the President is elected for four years.
3. Do you know Wilsons / the Wilsons? They’re a very nice couple.
4. Julia spent three years as a student in United States / the United States.
5. France / The France has a population of about 66 million.
6. Look at apples/the apples on that tree!
7. It annoys me when people/the people throw rubbish on the ground.
8. What were names/the names of those people we met last night?
9. He’s lazy. He doesn’t like hard word/the hard work.
10. Information/the information we were given wasn’t correct.
Exercise 2: Complete the sentences with suitable words from the box (Viết thành câu hoàn chỉnh)
- How did you get __________ after the party?
- How do you usually go ___________ in the morning? By bus?
- Sam likes to go to __________ early and get up early.
- I don’t have my phone. I left it ________________.
- ‘Have you seen my keys?’ ‘Yes, they’re on ______________’.
- Shall we meet ______________ tomorrow evening?
- I like to read __________ before going to sleep.
- It was a long tiring journey. We arrived ___________ very late.
- Tom usually finishes __________ at five o’clock.
- It’s nice to travel around, but there’s no place _______________.